Follow these steps to set up the UIC LDAP server in Mozilla Thunderbird or Eudora OSE, which is based on Thunderbird:
- Click on Tools -> Account Settings.
- On the left select the Compositon & Addressing.
- In Addressing section, select Use a different LDAP server, and click the Edit Directories... button.
- An LDAP Directory Server window will open, click the Add button.
- Fill in the General tab:
- Name: UIC LDAP Server
- Hostname: ldap.uic.edu
- Base DN: ou=people,dc=uic,dc=edu
- Port number: 389
- Leave Bind DN: blank.
- Leave the Use secure connection (SSL) box unchecked.
- Then the Advanced tab:
- Don't return more than  results
- Scope: Click Subtree
- Search filter: (objectclass=*)
- Click OK twice.
- When you are back in the Account Settings window, select the UIC LDAP server that you just created from the dropdown list beside Edit Directories... and click OK.
After you do this, you can just type someone's name, first or last, whichever is more unique, in an address field and LDAP will suggest a list UIC names and email addresses. To use a specific person, just click on their name/email address in the list.