Job descriptions and general responsibilities
The Service Desk is part of the UIC Academic Computing and Communications Center (ACCC) and is located in 2267 SELE.
The Service Desk is hiring Student Computer Specialists to serve as:
Service Desk Consultants. Service Desk Consultants serve as the primary point of contact for ACCC services by providing support via email and telephone.
Remote Lab Monitors. Remote lab monitors provide one of ACCC’s largest and most important services by ensuring clean and efficient labs around campus, open to all students, faculty, and staff.
All of ACCC’s student worker consultants support use of ACCC’s diverse range of computing services in multiple roles and locations: computer labs, U-Print printing services, Blackboard, UIC wireless networking, WebStore software sales, as well as support for NetID, common password services, and email.
To be considered to work at the Service Desk, you must fulfill all of the requirements below:
1. Be registered for at least 6 credit hours.
2. Have at least three (3) non-summer terms of study left at UIC. Your projected graduation date should be Spring 2016 or later. This is non-negotiable.
3. Be in good academic standing.
4. Have solid customer service and communication skills, both verbal and written.
5. Be able to work at least 12 hours a week during day time hours (8 AM – 5 PM).
6. Be available to attend a staff meeting on Wednesdays at 4 PM (4-5:30 PM). Meetings are not held every week, but attendance is mandatory when they are scheduled. You will be excused if you have class at this time.
7. Be flexible in submitting hours of work availability. Your work schedule is built around your class schedule. We require each employee to submit a wide range of hours for scheduling consideration. You will be required to submit morning, daytime and evening availability from which a schedule is built.
8. Attend all training sessions. Final hiring decisions are made contingent on your attendance and performance during training.
Compensation and work study
If you are eligible, we ask that you apply for Federal Work Study funds. When you apply for financial aid, your eligibility for Work Study funds will be determined. For more information, see the Financial Aid website or the Student Employment Office.
The starting wage for student employees for academic year 2015-2016 is $8.77 per hour. We do not offer tuition waivers or grad assistantships.
If you are interested in a position with ACCC, please go to UICCareers.com to submit your resume and fill out an application for the “Student Computer Specialist I” position.
September 20, 2016