The university has just secured an institution-wide license for Respondus LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor, which provide online proctoring to help ensure academic integrity for exams during the global COVID-19 situation.
Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment for tests taken in Blackboard. If you enable LockDown Browser for a Blackboard test, students will be unable to copy, print, access other applications, visit other websites, or close the test until it is submitted. LockDown Browser functions much like a standard browser, but some options are removed or work differently, and it is meant to be used in live proctoring situations. For online proctoring, instructors will need to require Respondus Monitor, which uses a web camera to record a student during the exam in addition to LockDown Browser.
Respondus tools are not accessible to all screen readers and does not work on Chromebooks. For installation and best practices review the “More Info” tab below. Test these resources before requesting students to use them.
- How do I enable Respondus Monitor for student testing?
- How do I enable Respondus LockDown in my course as an instructor?
- My exam uses Respondus LockDown and Monitor; what should I do as a student?
- The LockDown Browser toolbar is modified to only include Forward, Back, Refresh, and Stop functions.
- All access to other applications is disabled.
- Students cannot enter a web address to go to another site, and they cannot open other tabs (unless a link to another site is included within a test question).
- The browser is displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized, resized, or exited until the test is submitted.
- All printing, keyboard shortcuts (including copy/paste), screen capture, function keys, and right-click menus are disabled.
Accessing and Enabling Respondus LockDown Browser
Once you have created and deployed a test in your course, you can configure it to require the Respondus LockDown Browser by browsing to Control Panel > Course Tools > Respondus LockDown Browser.
If a student tries to use a regular browser to access a test that has Respondus enabled, Blackboard will notify them that they need to use Respondus to access the test.
Note: Instructors do not need to install any additional software. However, students must install additional software to take the online test.
Installation for Students
Students will need to download and install Respondus LockDown Browser on their own computer to use it, through the Respondus download link.
Recommended Best Practices
Respondus LockDown Browser is straightforward to use, but there are some suggested best practices that will help it go smoothly for your students.
- Do not change test name – Once you have enabled Respondus LockDown Browser on a test, do not change the name of the test, or Respondus will not work correctly
- Do not modify the test password – If you want to set a password for the test, do so via the Respondus LockDown Browser settings and not the Test Settings. Respondus uses the password field to prevent students from taking the test from another browser, and modifying the password in Test Settings will prevent it from working correctly
- Add a statement to the syllabus – Explain to students early that they must use Respondus LockDown Browser for their online exams. Respondus provides a sample syllabus statement you may want to include or modify
- Hold a practice test or quiz – Before students need to use Respondus LockDown Browser for a high-stakes test or a quiz, have them complete a brief practice quiz to demonstrate that they have installed the browser and it is functioning correctly. This quiz can be for a few points extra credit or no points
Once a Blackboard test is created and deployed in the course, the instructor can choose to require just the LockDown Browser, or the instructor can also require Respondus Monitoring, which is remote proctoring, watch this Respondus Monitoring video for more information.
Service Level Agreement
|Service Request Fulfillment Time||Under 2 business days, unless in-person training/discussion is required, or escalation to the vendor is required|
|Incident Resolution Time||Under 2 business days unless escalation to the vendor is required|
|Maintenance Window(s)||Weekly maintenance window: Friday, 1:00am - 5:00am Approved ACCC maintenance window(s)|
|Service Notification Channel(s)||Approved ACCC maintenance window(s) Direct emails to campus users. LMS Login Page: uic.blackboard.com|
|Reviewed to Ensure SLA Meets Business Requirements||Provisional SLA - Currently under IT Governance review|
|Date Reviewed||Provisional SLA - Currently under IT Governance review|
|Service Owner: Elizabeth Romero Fuerte|